Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Bikram Yoga Experience

One session of each week's P90X routine is yoga. Nick suggested that instead of Tony's Yoga X, we should try Bikram yoga, like he had done his first time through the program.

Bikram yoga was developed by Bikram Choudhury and is a series of 26 poses meant to restore health and heal and reshape the body. Each pose is performed in a specific order designed to work systematically through the body resulting in 100% of optimal body function. The 90 minute class is performed in a room heated to 105 degrees and 40% humidity. The heat allows for deeper stretching, increased circulation and detoxing. Some reports claim that you can burn up to 1000 calories per class!

Before my first class, I was extremely anxious! I did a lot of reading and research, and spoke to my brother who has been practicing Bikram for over 6 months. I embraced the fear and anxiety, and completed my first class! I was so excited to have made it through. It was intense and difficult and I can honestly say I have never sweat so much in my life! The poses are developed so that students of any level of experience can benefit from them, and after my second class I could already feel some improvement. I really enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to continuing after P90X is complete.

Nick, Amanda and I practice at Bikram Raleigh Yoga and there are also other studios in the Triangle area. If you're interested in trying a class or want more information, I'd be happy to chat about it! I hope you'll try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment